Cutting the Cord Part 3: Which 'Buntu for the Media Server?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 30 20:57:03 UTC 2013

So... to help serve up all this video to replace the outgoing Rogers cruft,
I figured I could spend a little on a media server that would keep up.

The main purposes of the box are to run

   - Plex (streaming and transcoding)

   - A MythTV config that would "rip" off the air broadcasts into a format
   recognized by the Plex server and allow the STBs to do some occasional live
   watching too,

   - Assorted script-based (mostly Python) for fetching various other
   Internet resources of interest

   - Possibly running a US proxy for Hulu etc

   - Probably Samba services

   - Maybe, just maybe, acting as my desktop if there's enough spare horses

Basic spec of the box is an i7 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD for the OS and 3TB
disk for the data (to start).

So I have some questions of this sage group, since it's been so long since
I've had to choose "which OS". I need to stay in the *buntu family because
of the Plex support, but for a system of this type, but some questions
remain:

   1. Am I better to load Mythbuntu and then add Plex and the other stuff?
   Or start with Xubuntu and then add Mythbuntu, Plex and the scripts?

   2. LTS or the twice-yearly track? How often does the LTS distro update
   third-party apps such as Myth?

   3. For these purposes, how much benefit exists in using 64-bit (AMD64)
   verusus the standard install? I've never done a 64-bit install yet.

Any answers are much appreciated.

- Evan