About the Android Emulator

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 30 15:48:04 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Antonio Sun <antoniosun-N9AOi2cAC9ZBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone here has some experiences with the Android Emulator? Can it behave
> like true Emulator like VirtureBox for PC?
>
> I mean, can I use it in such a way that I have a "real" Android device
> sitting on my desktop? I don't care about calling but I want to install some
> Android apps that only available for Android device, and according to my
> reading, it seems to be troublesome.

Yes and no. Many apps will run fine (if a bit slow) in the emulator,
but there are some that are difficult (if not impossible) to get
working.  I remember that back in the early days, getting Google's
Market app to work was possible but I'm not sure if the same is true
of Google Play (the new "Market").

If you want to run 3D accelerated apps/games you'll need an Intel
processor.  I discovered this after getting my Ouya Dev console back
in December/January... my dev machines are amd64-based. :-(

It's not terribly difficult to setup the emulator (networking aside,
though that may be easier to setup these days).  My recommendation
would simply be to give it a try and see if it works for your needs.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

  Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems