Free software and the Mac

Dave Cramer davecramer-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 24 00:37:33 UTC 2013

I use a mac for my desktop as well. You seem to have found your way around.
There are some rather not nice things.

1) Just this morning my computer failed to start after shutdown. You have
to unplug it and wait a while, or remove the memory. Make sure you have a
backup machine to search for the solution to these problems
2) If you replace the hard drive, which I just did you have to 1) pay apple
to do it, or 2) buy a special cable and a regular HD and very carefully do
it yourself, 3) buy software to control the fan speed and very carefully do
it yourself.

Oh, almost forgot do yourself a huge favour and find a way to run time
machine, when the hard drive in question failed I was able to completely
restore my machine; albeit in 20 hours. This feature alone is worth a huge
amount of time

I use a drobo which I wouldn't recommend as it's flaky, but I've already
got 600 bucks into it, so I'm not about to toss it.

Candidly I think apple has seen it's best days, but I'll still use it for a
couple more product cycles

Dave Cramer