Microsoft files EU Android complaint

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 13 01:18:48 UTC 2013

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Forgot to mention, SIP support IPSec, for encrypted calls.
>
> SIP doesn't support IPSec, IPSec supports SIP and essentially all
> other IP protocols.

While SIP can certainly travel over an IPSec VPN, and I have set that
up, that's not what I was referring to.  IPSec can also be used directly
by applications, without a VPN.

>From
http://www.softwell.se/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82&Itemid=131

"A successful IMS AKA Registration is accomplished by two SIP Register
request messages sent to the subscriber's S-CSCF and two SIP Register
response messages to the requesting subscriber. Information neccesary to
performa authentication and set up the two IPsec channels are provided
in the SIP message headers. Some of the SIP message headers are specific
for IMS."

With this, the connection is set up to use IPSec, for carrying the
connection.

And this:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wvraix/v6r1m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.wvraix.voip.doc%2Fipsec.html

Or from this book:
http://www1.avaya.com/pc/SIP_for_Dummies.pdf

Pg 45
"Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol (SRTP) or IP Security (IPSEC) using
Advance Encryption Standard (AES) encryption to provide authentication,
cofigentiality, and integrity for protection of the media

And here's some info on SRTP:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Real-time_Transport_Protocol

SIP normally uses Real Time Protocol (RTP) to carry a call, but it can
also use SRTP to provide end to end encryption of the call. That is
right from one phone to the other, encrypted all the way.

So, bottom line, IPSec *IS* supported by SIP.