Microsoft files EU Android complaint

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 12 20:29:48 UTC 2013

Alejandro Imass wrote:
> I think GSM has two distinct frequency options but are all compatible
> at some level. For example a current iPhone will work on Wind but will
> get only "Edge" speeds because it's missing the 1700 band. Why Apple
> didn't make the iPhone a multi-band device and use HSDPA networks.
> Maybe that was part of their deal with AT&T.

Edge is part of GSM.  Wind doesn't offer any GSM service, so if you
don't have an AWS phone for Wind, you won't get anything.  However, if
your AWS phone supports GSM, you will have GSM/Edge service on Rogers.

>> >Note: I'm not a cell phone expert.  I may be all wrong.
> Neither am I, but I just want Wind to survive to any news on T-Mobile
> is relevant to that end.

I have done cell site work for both Rogers and Wind.

Also, it'd be nice if Wind and Mobilicity would team up, along with
Videotron, Eastlink and any other AWS carrier to provide better service
coverage for all of them.  I can see Public Mobile going with Telus, as
they already roam with them.  Regardless, I don't want to see any of
them taken over by Rogers/Telus/Bell, as that would remove sorely needed
competition from Canada.  If they can't make it on their own, the
government should allow them to go with a foreign carrier.