Microsoft files EU Android complaint

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 11 13:25:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 02:11:13PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> > Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > >Sure, but only after google released the source to that version, and
> > >they don't have access to the official app store as far as I know.
> > >
> > >If you want access to new versions first, then you must play by google's
> > >rules.  In the cell phone market being behind by 6 months is a lot.
> >
> > Now try it with MS or Apple.
>
> Who cares?  At least they are honest about it.
>
> My problem with Android is that they claim to be all open source and
> friendly, but it's all a lie.  If you are not one of their buddy
> companies, then you get no say in what the next version of Android
> will be.  You will get it when Google is good and ready to give it to
> you and you will be happy with what you get.  You can try asking google
> nicely to add something, but that doesn't mean they will care what
> you think.  Android goes where it suits google (and their friends).
>
> At least Apple and Microsoft have the decency to be up front about the
> actual conditions they want to impose.  I won't buy any of them of course.

I have to say, in 99.9% of cases I 100% agree with your judgement. It is
without fail based on a very thorough, logical and reasonable analysis of
the facts.

This might be one of the 0.01% where there is a tiny, almost infinitesimal
flaw. I agree, obviously, that Google is dishonest about the way they
portray themselves. I don't know if I would call Microsoft 'honest' about
anything. Apple, well, yes, they do say up front that they have their own
way of doing things. As far as them being better in any way, that's pretty
shaky ground, you must admit.

I can totally understand why there would be special dislike of Google, and
of course there is consistency in abhorring all of their smartphone
products.

My question is, would it be possible for Google to operate as open source,
at least with Android, and still operate within the globalized capitalist
framework that supports MS and Apple? Someone should write a research paper
on that.

Personally, I don't think a truly open source project would be tolerated by
post-industrial finance/monopoly capitalism. What cannot be monopolized is
universally rejected.

--
Thomas Milne