Microsoft files EU Android complaint

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 11 15:26:33 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:25:39AM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> I have to say, in 99.9% of cases I 100% agree with your judgement. It is
> without fail based on a very thorough, logical and reasonable analysis of
> the facts.
>
> This might be one of the 0.01% where there is a tiny, almost infinitesimal
> flaw. I agree, obviously, that Google is dishonest about the way they
> portray themselves. I don't know if I would call Microsoft 'honest' about
> anything. Apple, well, yes, they do say up front that they have their own
> way of doing things. As far as them being better in any way, that's pretty
> shaky ground, you must admit.
>
> I can totally understand why there would be special dislike of Google, and
> of course there is consistency in abhorring all of their smartphone
> products.
>
> My question is, would it be possible for Google to operate as open source,
> at least with Android, and still operate within the globalized capitalist
> framework that supports MS and Apple? Someone should write a research paper
> on that.

It very well might not be possible to get a consistent product out at
the pace they are doing it any other way.  But guess what, if they were
at least honest enough to not portray android as this wonderful open
source wonder, then I would be OK with it.

> Personally, I don't think a truly open source project would be tolerated by
> post-industrial finance/monopoly capitalism. What cannot be monopolized is
> universally rejected.

Sure, but none of the router makers or set top boxes for video playback
are claiming to be wonderful providers of open source goodness.  They
happen to use linux because it fits their price needs and features, and at
least some of them even have the decency to not violate the license terms
and actually release the sources for the open source stuff they used. :)
Google does release the open source stuff they have to, although perhaps
some of the phone makers aren't so good at that.

There were a number of interesting open source smart phone projects taking
off when android arived.  Now there isn't much left of most of them.
After all this wonderful android open source thing is here now, so no
need to do these other ones anymore.  Except there is.

OpenMoko is still kind of around, and looks vaguely tempting, although
they sure look stupid.  Who designed that case shape.

--
Len Sorensen