Teksavvy Nightmare

Scott Allen mlxxxp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 8 11:27:11 UTC 2013

On 8 April 2013 01:58, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
> | So, after the Demarcation point. From the NID you'll typically have a single
> | wire per phone line coming into the home. Somewhere between where the rest of
> | the home splits off from that connection and the NID is where the splitter
> | will be inserted.
> |
> | > http://csmedia.corning.com/CableSystems/images/dsl/cps-dtv2-0w-cn_a_zoom.jpg
>
> That's what I expected when I got a VDSL2 connection last year.  But
> that's not what happened when the tech arrived.
>
> Instead, the splitter was installed in the room with the modem, way
> downstream of the demarc.  I have no idea why they sent a tech.  I
> don't know anything that he did that I couldn't do (and I'm not that
> handy).

Yes, DSL usually just uses a simple filter/splitter, e.g.
<http://www.lmi.net/wp-content/uploads/adsl_filter_and_splitter.jpg>,
or the modem installed on an unused jack, with filters on all phones.
Putting the modem close to the demarc, or on a separate line, and then
using one filter for all phones is less common.

This is why I assumed a cable Internet install, since Rogers doesn't
want people installing their own splitters.

When I got Teksavvy DSL, I bought my own modem and installed it myself
with no tech visit. When I recently switched to Teksavvy cable
Internet, I again bought my modem but a tech visit was required to
install a splitter and test the line, even though I could have done it
myself.

--
Scott