Teksavvy Nightmare

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 8 05:58:58 UTC 2013

| From: Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>

| On 04/07/2013 06:58 PM, Scott Sullivan wrote:

| > Actually, this is DSL and the splitter their referring to is actually a
| > DSL filter installed at the Demarcation point to to filter out DSL on
| > all the inside wiring.
|
| So, after the Demarcation point. From the NID you'll typically have a single
| wire per phone line coming into the home. Somewhere between where the rest of
| the home splits off from that connection and the NID is where the splitter
| will be inserted.
|
| > http://csmedia.corning.com/CableSystems/images/dsl/cps-dtv2-0w-cn_a_zoom.jpg

That's what I expected when I got a VDSL2 connection last year.  But
that's not what happened when the tech arrived.

Instead, the splitter was installed in the room with the modem, way
downstream of the demarc.  I have no idea why they sent a tech.  I
don't know anything that he did that I couldn't do (and I'm not that
handy).

I've got this little "Corning ADSL/VDSL POTS splitter", just like the
picture, dangling on my desk.  And this annoying Cellpipe modem.

I *still* need filters on all the other phones.  That was something
that I thought I would no longer need.  In theory, that provide more
points of failure.  Surely if the splitter had been installed at the
demac, I would not need these filters.  But the tech would have either
required me to move the modem to near the demac or would have needed
to run a wire between the current modems position and the
splitter-near-the-demarc, roughly the length of the house.

BTW, my provider is Telnet Communications.  They seem good but I have
no way of comparing them with other providers. They don't offer TV and
Bell won't deliver TV over a phoneline that a third-party ISP offers
internet (doesn't affect me).  I don't know how their prices compare.
They don't advertise unlimited "bandwidth" (bytes/month), but they
seem to not have a cap.  I haven't tested this in any way.