So anyone else irritated by the bell touch tone service fee

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 28 11:38:05 UTC 2012

Dave Cramer wrote:
> I've been paying 2.80 /mth for touch tone service. I wonder if I
> refuse this service will my phone stop operating ?

Years and years ago I was in charge of a bunch of modem connections
across the city, and figured we could save some bucks by not ordering
touch-tone; I could program a modem to ATDP with the best of them.  And
anyway the links were nailed up and didn't spend a lot of time dialing.

Some years later we got a call from Bell: it turned out they were winding
up rotary-phone service, and could we please upgrade?

I'm given to understand that modern equipment may not even understand
pulse-dialing anymore, and that the former touch-tone extra became a
mandatory part of basic service.  It wouldn't surprise me if it's still
listed separately and not rolled into the base tariff due to bureaucratic
inertia.

(Back when touch-tone first rolled out, the electromechanical gear to
deal with it would have cost the telcos some *serious* coin, hence the
surcharge.)

--
Anthony de Boer