So anyone else irritated by the bell touch tone service fee

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.avery.frey-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 30 16:13:31 UTC 2012

On 27/09/12 15:23 , Dave Cramer wrote:
> Just looked at this again.
>
> I've been paying 2.80 /mth for touch tone service. I wonder if I
> refuse this service will my phone stop operating ?
>
> Looks like a class action suit to me

When I had Bell we never paid for touch tone service. We had phones that
were selectable for tone or pulse. My dial up modem was set to
"auto-detect".

One day the modem did something strange so I hung and dialled again. I
discovered our line was now responding to tones.

One time Bell called and asked if we wanted touch tone service, I said
no without telling them that in effect we already had it. It was never
disabled.

I think the touch tone fee is an ad scam for Bell so that their Basic
rate looks cheaper than what it is.

We now use Primus (a Bell reseller) and it appears that touch tone
service is included in the basic rate.

Call Bell up and say "x company is offering this rate and it includes
touch tone service. Would you be willing to give touch tone service for
free?"

Ivan.