how to have /dev/audio on ubuntu?

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 20 20:59:00 UTC 2012

Ubuntu did not do a very good job of integrating pulseaudio. It's got
a lot of features but demands complete control over the sound hardware
and it looks like the Ubuntu folks rolled it out too quickly.

If your hardware is older it might be better to go back to ALSA/OSS. I
haven't seen many problems with pulseaudio in newer equipment with
newer installs.

I think ALSA still present in Ubuntu

On the command line
$speaker-test (plays white noise)
$aplay - l (lists playback devices)
$arecord -l (lists record devices)

$alsamixer (make sure PCM volume is not muted.)

or $pavucontrol (under pulse for the same reason.)

This site may be helpful.
http://www.hecticgeek.com/2012/01/how-to-remove-pulseaudio-use-alsa-ubuntu-linux/

Hope this helps
Russell