Session saving/restoring on Ubuntu

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 18 17:21:21 UTC 2012

On 12-09-08 10:41 PM, Andrej Marjan wrote:
> You're right, it was intentionally disabled:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/129885/how-could-unity2d-save-sessions
>
> Some of the links from that page suggest session saving is generally broken
> in Gnome 3 as well.

Session saving stopped working sometime after 9.10 but I don't know when. I
went from 9.10 to 11.04 one day via a series of upgrades. I stopped at 11.04
to avoid winding up with Unity. I discovered I could no longer save
sessions. If it was removed due to a bug (as one page suggests), the usual
course of action is to fix the bug rather than disable a feature.

I worked around the problem by adding additional start up commands to a
shell script which is started as part of the Startup Applications. I just
have to move the Pidgin window after the desktop finishes loading as that
program doesn't honour the --geometry setting that would say where to
position the window on startup.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.