Session saving/restoring on Ubuntu

Andrej Marjan andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 9 02:41:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Matt Price <moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I think that in the old days, the problem was that ubuntu purposely
> disabled session management; with some tweaks you could gett it
> restored again.  In the new era (post-Unity) I think the problem is
> more severe -- there's no session-management capability within unity,
> and perhaps it's been eliminated from gnome-shell as well.

You're right, it was intentionally disabled:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/129885/how-could-unity2d-save-sessions

Some of the links from that page suggest session saving is generally broken
in Gnome 3 as well.

It's too bad that Ubuntu (Unity/Gnome) has some of the prettiest font
rendering on Linux, I like the general feel of Unity, and it's a lot more
aesthetically pleasing than KDE's oxygen theme, but it's seriously lacking
in basic productivity features I've been using for over a decade now.

In cases where ubuntu is working well this is not such a big issue,
> becuase you pretty well never reboot.  my lightdm session has started
> crashing spontaneously though; so now I really notice the issue.

That's unfortunate. I've gotten suspend working since I managed to convince
Ubuntu to actually use the newest nvidia drivers installed, but suspend
isn't the same thing as session management at all.