OpenWRT questions

Anthony Verevkin anthony-P5WJPa9AKEcsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 4 20:13:30 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Evan Leibovitch" <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org>

> I purchased a TP-Link TL-WR703N wifi router on eBay for $20. It seems
> to be able to do what I need -- as a light, power-sipping travel
> router -- and I really only need two functions:

>     2. A repeater that will magnify weak wifi signals (again, useful
>     in a hotel room if they have wifi but it's weak)

You will have to have two radios in order to relay the signal (one working
in Access point mode and the other being a wireless client). Then you can
route the traffic between the zones. Otherwise you could have set up WDS
mode to do the repeater job with just one radio, but you would need to
change the settings of the hotel AP accordingly which is not possible in
your case. So two radios it is -- either get the second router, or get the
router with two radios built-in (I don't know if such exist), or you might
get a chance with a USB wifi dongle connected to your USB port. This is a
fun way of doing this but you would need to gain some deeper knowledge of
OpenWRT to make it work.

Regards,
Anthony