OpenWRT questions

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 4 14:34:43 UTC 2012

Hi Scott, thanks for the quick answer.

On 4 September 2012 10:08, Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> The TL-MR3020 will do most of what you ask out of the box with English
> firmware. I've currently got mine doing Wifi -> LAN bridging at home...
> although DHCP doesn't cross over with the stock firmware so I suspect
> that's where relayd comes in with OpenWRT.

I suspect the stock Chinese ROM would also work if I understood it.

> To go from the LAN to the WIFI should only require setting up a linux
> bridge device between eth0 and wlan0. Those examples seem to be for NATing
> between one wifi and yours.

Here's where my confusion is starting to set in.

The simplest config is only as an access point, where the IP address(es)
get fed from the wired router. But I think this may screw up on hotel
systems that are expecting only a single device per drop.

Unless the hotel has its own Class C block of addresses (unlikely) I must
assume that it too is using NAT. I would that assume my wifi router would
need to serve up its own DHCP because the hotel couldn't be relied upon to
provide more than one IP per room. I'd be concerned about breaching the
terms of use, exceeding some capability of the hotel's system or otherwise
breaking something.

So I need a setup that can't assume the host Ethernet is capable of more
than a single IP address.

You seem to be suggesting using a bridged client using
relayd<http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient>(what OpenWRT
calls a "pseudobridge"). Does there exist a simple
explanation of the difference between this and the "client routing using
masquerading <http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/routedclient>" model?
Which one would be better for my specific need? The two network map
diagrams look awfully similar.

>  What's the  best way to set this up? Can I use LUCI or am I stuck doing
>> this in CLI?
>>

> A point I like to keep in mind is that most of the "config files" for
> software in openWRT are generated at boot from the UCI config files for
> said software. (LUCI just being a Lua Web frontend to UCI).

I know. I had to do a good chunk of config file editing (using the system's
limited 'vi') just to get to run LUCI. :-P

> When documentation is lacking or cryptic I've take the following tactic.
> Do a clean flash, copy /etc/config off the device then cofigure with LUCI
> and do a diff.
>
> So, there is a clear trickle down. If you want precision control, use the
> /etc/config files. If you want to set a bunch of values have the rest
> sorted out for you, use UCI/LUCI.

Thanks again.

- Evan