Supremetronic Redux

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 3 14:29:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 12-09-03 08:07 , James Knott wrote:
>>
>> Factory Direct is not what it used to be.  They used to be a place to
>> get decent deals on computer and other tech gear.
>
> Not to mention the basement full of O'Reilly and other Unix manuals at
> the College location.

I was always of two minds about that...

On the one hand, I was all, "squeee!   Cheap books that I sorta want!"

On the other hand, the only way to have a basement full of
spectacularly discounted books is for that basement of spectacularly
discounted books to be considered effectively commercially worthless,
which bodes ill for the continued production of such books.

And the "tech book" section at the average bookstore has indeed become
a pale shadow of what it was 15 years ago.