multibooting ubuntu and fedora

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 1 01:46:53 UTC 2012

I have a few computers that I want to have co-existing installations
of Ubuntu and Fedora.

Boot loaders get more and more complex.

There is automation to set up grub2 configuration in most distros, I
infer.  There are scripts in /etc/grub.d to build the
/boot/grub*/grub.config file.  Each script is numbered, kind of like
files within /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/.

One script finds other linux installations and adds grub menu entries
to boot them.

The ubuntu scripts ignore Fedora UNLESS the Fedora partition is
actually mounted!?!?

==> when running update-grub2 on Ubuntu 12.04, explicitly or
    implicitly (eg. as part of an Ubuntu update), make sure that the
    boot partition of each other linux distro is mounted.

I wish that the script would just run the Fedora grub config file
rather than trying to assimilate everything into the Ubuntu grub config
file.  The way it is now, you need to update the grub config file on
Ubuntu every time there is a Fedora kernel update!

==> after every kernel update on a secondary linux installation, be
    sure to run update-grub2 on the linux that controls the boot