My struggle with getting small Linux distros installed on my laptop

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 11 14:53:40 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 06:08:21PM -0400, Jason A. Spiro wrote:
> I've experienced this slowness too.

USB is highly inefficient, and many USB sticks are slow on top of that.
You should see what windows xp is like from a USB stick.  That's painful.

> Since you're willing to use a hard drive, I recommend the Seagate
> Momentus XT.  AFAICT, it's the only hybrid hard drive on the market
> today.  (It's a single 2.5" device which contains magnetic platters
> plus flash memory.  The firmware copies data back and forth as needed
> so that you don't need to worry about it.)  I've used one.  They work
> fine.

After seeing how the seagate laptop drive that came in my wife's lenovo
was built inside, I will never consider a seagate laptop drive as someting
that could be used.

What a flimsy piece of crap.  no wonder if mashed the heads under the
head parking mechanism and then dragged them across the platter.  And it
seems to be a common problem from what I found with some searching.

> If you feel you must install Linux on a USB stick, see Mark Lord's
> aufs ram-to-disk-synchronization toolkit:
> <http://rtr.ca/run_from_ram/>.  I've never tried it, but it worked
> fine when he demonstrated it at Linux Symposium.

Those are interesting.  They do seem to make some daily tasks a bit of
a chore, but perhaps that just depends how you work with your laptop.

--
Len Sorensen