Questions about building from source tarball

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 29 11:01:06 UTC 2012

  Several years ago, back in the days of Mozilla 0.9x and Phoenix, I
used to build Mozilla or Pheonix from the source tarball.  I've been
using Gentoo for years, and I've forgotten a lot about building manually
from source.  I asked this question on mozillazine.org, but no answers
yet.  Hopefully, I can get some help here.  I'm looking at
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Simple_SeaMonkey_build and I
have a few questions...

1) What options do I need to set to make Seamonkey (or Firefox) build
in, and run from, a local dir, e.g. "${HOME}/seamonkey"?  I'd prefer to
avoid jumping to root for the install.  And throwing in files in /usr
that my distro package management (portage) doesn't know about, is
begging for trouble.

2) I read the instructions on how to pass the "O2" flag to the make and
compile process. What about the rest of the CFLAGS line?  My CFLAGS are

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"