Questions about building from source tarball

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 29 18:55:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 07:01:06AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   Several years ago, back in the days of Mozilla 0.9x and Phoenix, I
> used to build Mozilla or Pheonix from the source tarball.  I've been
> using Gentoo for years, and I've forgotten a lot about building manually
> from source.  I asked this question on mozillazine.org, but no answers
> yet.  Hopefully, I can get some help here.  I'm looking at
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Simple_SeaMonkey_build and I
> have a few questions...
>
> 1) What options do I need to set to make Seamonkey (or Firefox) build
> in, and run from, a local dir, e.g. "${HOME}/seamonkey"?  I'd prefer to
> avoid jumping to root for the install.  And throwing in files in /usr
> that my distro package management (portage) doesn't know about, is
> begging for trouble.
>
> 2) I read the instructions on how to pass the "O2" flag to the make and
> compile process. What about the rest of the CFLAGS line?  My CFLAGS are
>
> CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"

I used to compile Firefox.  Then, I downloaded already compiled tarball
and install in /usr/local.  Now, I just install distro package
(Slackware, in my case).  So, try pre-compiled tarball.  I think, you can
install it anywhere, as long as "firefox" is symlinked in the usual
place, like /usr/local/bin.
--
William