How stable is Debian Unstable?

Daniel Wayne Armstrong daniel-HRJVlgn2G/y5aS82P/H3Zg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 23 23:42:17 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> I use unstable on my work desktop, my home desktop and laptop and my
> mythtv box.
>
> I upgrade haphazardly (sometimes multiple times in a day, sometimes 2
> or 3 weeks apart).
>
> The only times I ever had trouble is if I try to upgrade in the middle of
> a major transition (perl 5.12 to 5.14 for example) when not everything
> needed is in the archive yet.  In those cases, I see the long list of
> tings to be removed and think "That looks wrong" and don't upgrade and
> wait a day or two and try again.
>
> I always use apt-get dist-upgrade.  I know aptitude is supposed to be
> better, but its conflict resolution tends to drive me bonkers with its
> long questions.  I consider synaptic useless.

Thanks for the responses. I like the idea behind a "rolling release"
of incremental, continuous change vs the "punctuated equilibrium"
model mentioned elsewhere and Debian unstable sounds like rolling
release done right.

I also will take another look at Linux Mint Debian Edition ... it
sounds more suitable for a few people I help with their Linux
installs. Thanks for mentioning it.