Views from an Red Hat -> Ubuntu -> Fedora migrator

Ben Walton bdwalton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 23 17:22:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:30 PM, William Muriithi
<william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> Yes, this is a shame, I agree.  The world (I was going to say
>> "computing world" but I think it extends beyond that) owes Debian a
>> huge debt and it's not always or even often recognized.  It is quite
>> frustrating to get .tar.gz or .rpm downloads but rarely a .deb.  I(t's
>> also frustrating when the .rpm is for some ancient RHEL version too.
>> :( )
>>
> May be we should blame the network effect but sometimes its even more weird.
>
> Case in point, Cisco SSL vpn client is Java based yet they made it RedHat
> specific. I thought Java is platform independent.

My experience is that things have gotten somewhat better on the java
front but for a long time "platform independent" was only true if you
were willing to maintain ~8 versions of the platform (jre) on any
given box. :)

> Other cases that have left me flabbergasted,  Vertica, Oracle or even Dell
> will not support their application on Scientific Linux despite them being
> the same binaries as RHEL.

What is worse?  Not supporting a major distro like Debian or not
supporting a clone of a supported platform?  It'd be interesting to
hear the discussions had by the PHB's around things like this.

Thanks
-Ben
Take the risk of thinking for yourself.  Much more happiness,
truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens