Views from an Red Hat -> Ubuntu -> Fedora migrator

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 22 20:52:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 03:41:13PM -0400, Stephen Gordon wrote:
> Of course there are two sides to every story:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_gcc.html

I have read that too.  Redhat was wrong.

> Some gcc developers agreed with that line of thinking, some didn't.
> Acting as if GCC community universally agreed it was a Bad Thing TM is
> revisionist.
>
>     http://lwn.net/2000/1005/a/rh-tools.php3

Well the compatibility hell the gcc developers warned of DID happen.
I remember dealing with it.  It was very annoying.  You kept having to
tell people to stop using redhat 7.x for development because no one else
could run their binaries.

I really don't give a shit if redhat just had to support the useless
itanium.  Not as if they do anymore.

Perhaps they could have delayed their release until gcc was stable with
itanium support, but oh wait, redhat is one of those companies that
started the fixed release schedule crap, so I guess they couldn't.
Sales/marketing couldn't wait for something that worked because they
had a schedule to follow.

--
Len Sorensen