GUI app to make RPM or DEB package?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 16 17:09:09 UTC 2012

On 12 October 2012 11:50, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 09:41:25PM -0400, William Park wrote:
>> Is there graphical frontend in making your own RPM or DEB package?
>> It seems that "apt-get" and "yum" are just installer, not package
>> creator.
>>
>> I mean, after
>>     ./configure
>>     make
>>     make install DESTDIR=/tmp/xxx
>> what do you do?  In Slackware, you simply run "makepkg" from /tmp/xxx.
>> I'm not sure what I have to run in order to build DEB or RPM package.
>>
>> I use Slackware, but in the latest Slackware-14 (x64), my USB keyboard
>> and mouse stop working at the login prompt.  So, I'm looking for another
>> distro. :-(
>
> Well you don't start by doing configure and make.  You add that to the
> rules for making the package so that the entire thing is done by the
> package build.
>
> Now for a package that has a nice configure and make that has install with DESTDIR support, the entire debian/rules file needed would be:
>
> #!/usr/bin/make -f
> %:
>         dh $@
>
> Other than that you need a control file describing the package and such.
>
> Once that is all done you can run 'dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -b' and it
> should create a .deb for you.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is install some package
locally that isn't available as a deb, it's a lot easier to use
checkinstall:

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/checkinstall

You do the usual drill, with a slight twist:

./configure
make
checkinstall make install

(I think I have that right: read your docs ...)  And after that, your
home-compiled package is installed on your Debian system and you can
remove it with a "apt-get purge whatever" command.  Since it's an
out-of-band package, it doesn't get tracked and updated by the system:
you have to do that.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/