GUI app to make RPM or DEB package?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 12 15:50:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 09:41:25PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> Is there graphical frontend in making your own RPM or DEB package?
> It seems that "apt-get" and "yum" are just installer, not package
> creator.
>
> I mean, after
>     ./configure
>     make
>     make install DESTDIR=/tmp/xxx
> what do you do?  In Slackware, you simply run "makepkg" from /tmp/xxx.
> I'm not sure what I have to run in order to build DEB or RPM package.
>
> I use Slackware, but in the latest Slackware-14 (x64), my USB keyboard
> and mouse stop working at the login prompt.  So, I'm looking for another
> distro. :-(

Well you don't start by doing configure and make.  You add that to the
rules for making the package so that the entire thing is done by the
package build.

Now for a package that has a nice configure and make that has install with DESTDIR support, the entire debian/rules file needed would be:

#!/usr/bin/make -f
%:
	dh $@

Other than that you need a control file describing the package and such.

Once that is all done you can run 'dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -b' and it
should create a .deb for you.

--
Len Sorensen