slow booting after installation of another Linux

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 8 19:04:57 UTC 2012

| To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org

| Yes, I assign a label, then use that in the fstabs for both
| installations (by manually editing fstab after installation).  Great for
| sharing home partitions across installations as well.

I didn't know that you could label swap files.  Apparently mkswap can
label "new style" swap partitions (new is not very new any more: old
style swap areas were limited to 128MiB on x86 so they had to go).

Can anything label a swap partition without also initializing it?  In
particular, I like labeling partitions (using e2label) after they are
created since the GUI tools for distro installation don't seem to let
you specify labels.

UUIDs can be created automatically by the system.  This avoid
bothering the human.

If you have two partitions with the same designator on one system,
confusion rains.  UUIDs are more likely unique than human-assigned
labels.

It is very easy to have two disks that were on different
systems, assign them overlapping partition labels, and then put on the
same machine -- I've done it.

I've actually gotten into the same mess with UUIDs.  I've cloned a
disk partition with dd(1), duping the UUID.  But that takes active
stupidity.