System testing

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 24 04:18:52 UTC 2012

I have an older system - Gigabyte motherboard, Core 2 quad processor.  It
was my desktop up until a couple months ago - but it had become
progressively more unstable and daily crashes were the norm.  Now I have a
new desktop and I'm willing to subject the old system to any and all tests
to determine what's wrong - I'd like to continue to use it.

About the only thing I _have_ tested is memory with memtest86+, and this
doesn't appear to be the problem (although I'm impatient and should
probably run it longer than an hour).  I've downloaded UBCD, StressLinux,
and some others - but don't entirely know what to do with them.

So I'm hoping the list can tell me what tests to run and in what order,
what to look for, and how to interpret results.  Most of my experience has
been with fairly obvious problems - ie. this is a network card problem,
this is a bad stick of RAM - and I really couldn't see a pattern or
probable cause to the random crashes.

Thanks in advance.