System testing

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 24 04:24:31 UTC 2012

Take the cover off the case and see if you have any popped capacitors.
Bad caps can result in all kinds of intermittent, non-reproducible
behaviour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Generally, capacitors can be replaced and the motherboard is as good as
new.  But it's a finicky job, and often the affected motherboards are
old enough that you'd want to replace them with something shinier anyway.

--Bob.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>         http://sobac.com/sobac/
SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413