Laptop resolution issue.

jim cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 9 07:04:28 UTC 2012

> | > Problem mirroring the display on another display with a different
> | > resolution?  I don't have much experience with that kind of problem
> | > and it seems that it gets tricky.
> |
> | Yes this is the problem I am having. Projectors don't have the same
> | resolution so mirroring displays is wonky unless both the laptop and
> | projector have the same resolution. Strange thing is I used to get lots
> | of compatible resolutions on my laptop now just the 1440x900
>
> Usually there is some arcane keystroke to cycle between the external
> video adapter, the internal screen, or both.
Yes but this isn't the issue. It is just that my laptop display doesn't
show any other resolution that 1440x900 where there used to be a list of
available resolutions.

> Can you live with just the external screen working?  Then that screens
> resolution could be used without conflict.
>
> Can you live with both displays working, but not mirrored?

No I really want to have both working and mirrored.

> Perhaps you can downgrade to an older proprietary driver.  Or even
> experiment with Nouveau.
I would prefer to use the nvidia driver. It used to work fine??

> | >   A few other avenues to look at...
> | > 1) What is the output of the "xrandr" command?
> |
> | Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1440 x 900, maximum 8192 x 8192
>
> I don't actually know what that means.
>
> | VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>
> Clearly your other monitor is not connected.  The output might be more
> interesting if the other monitor were connected.
>
> | LVDS-0 connected 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 331mm x 207mm
> |    1440x900       59.9*+
>
> This shows that the monitor reports to X that there is only one
> resolution that it knows about.
>
> The reporting is via EDID or DDC.  If you look through /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> you will see X's conversation with the (built-in) monitor.  The
> conversation is different for each X server device driver (nouveau,
> nvidia proprietary, radeon, amd proprietary, intel, whatever).
>
> Looking at a system with nvidia proprietary driver, I see that its
> reporting is very modest.  It doesn't even report synthesized
> modelines -- all other drivers that I've looked at do.

I thought maybe my EDID file was corrupted and it may be though when
dusting off my Windows partition and looking at display settings I can
set my monitor to the various available settings.

> Does the Xorg.0.log file show any consideration of the setting in
> 10-monitor.conf?  For example, some hint of rejection?

If I rename Screen in the conf file this is reflected in the log file so
I am quite sure it is being seen,

Using xrandr and trying to add a new mode I get an error as seen below:
jim at jimslaptop:~$ xrandr --addmode LVDS-0 800x600_60.00
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  153 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  18 (RRAddOutputMode)
  Serial number of failed request:  27

Very frustrating...
Jim