Laptop resolution issue.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 5 15:29:43 UTC 2012

| From: jim <cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>

| Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a problem I am having with my
| laptop. For some reason I can only chose the native resolution of
| 1440x900.

LCDs have discrete pixels.  Using another resolution is usually really
ugly and often unsupported.

Could you explain the problem that you are trying to solve by changing
the resolution used?  There might be a better solution to the problem
than changing the resolution.

Things on screen too small to see?

- Tell X that you have a high DPI and it *should* scale everything.
  I've not tested this so it might not work in practice but it is a
  great theory.

- Alternatively, you can ask each thing (application or whatever) to
  use a bigger font.  A bit tedious.

- on my Fedora 17 Gnome desktop, under settings, there is "Universal",
  which I guess a new euphamism for what was called accessibility.
  Under the "Seeing" tab, you can bump Display: Text size.
  I don't know why that tab doesn't have something to change the
  DPI setting.  There is also a zoom feature but that isn't likely
  what you want.

Screen too slow updating (in a game, or playing a video, for example)?
I guess that could be a good reason.

Problem mirroring the display on another display with a different
resolution?  I don't have much experience with that kind of problem
and it seems that it gets tricky.