anyone here have an interest in automotive electronics

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 5 19:43:47 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 12:43:44PM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
> He is looking for someone to train to be a mechanic, Finding people
> who can turn wrenches is easy. Finding people that understand
> electronics is more difficult.

So true.  Long ago, we would have people in amateur radio, consumer
electronic repairs, etc.  But, that's dead and gone.  Now, it's just
RMA.

I was interested in this, long ago.  But, the "electronics" you need to
know are just plug into laptop, and run diagnostic program.  If it finds
faulty part, then just replace it.  All the parts (including screws) are
already spec'ed out by the manufacturer.

Another difficulty is vendor lock-in.  Electronics in Toyota is not the
same as in Volkwagen.  It's difficult to get into vendor channel, and
once in, you're trapped.
--
William