Can root mount a partition and allow users to write to it?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 22 15:28:01 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 06:26:01PM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> Are you really saving on power consumption? Consider that power
> supplies are more efficient than a lot of the ones used in older
> PC's but remember that the video cards in current day machines tend
> to require a lot more power than older video cards.
>
> An older computer might have a 200W to 300W power supply. The video
> cards in some (a lot?) of the machines today need power supplies
> with wattages of 450W or more. The power supply of an older machine
> could be replaced for a more efficient one to reduce its power
> consumption slightly.
>
> Without measuring the current draw of machine A vs. machine B you
> can't be certain that machine B (if it is newer than A) uses less
> power.
>
> Just some additional food for thought.

If you want a modern high performance gaming machine, then yes.

For a normal desktop, onboard graphics should be fine, and uses only a
few watts.

Personally I intend to order a cubox soon for use as a mythtv frontend.

HDMI 1920x1080p video, usb, eSATA, IR receiver, gigabit ethernet, 1GB ram,
microSD slot, all in a 2" cube using under 5W with hardware mpeg2 and
mpeg4 decoding support.  Seems perfect for the job.  All for about $150.

--
Len Sorensen