Can root mount a partition and allow users to write to it?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun May 20 05:55:22 UTC 2012

| From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| It's likely that those Pentium III systems chew many times more power
| than (say) an Atom-based system that sells for not terribly much
| money, new.

True.  On the other hand, many machines are only powered on for a
small percentage of the time.

Another problem is it takes a significant amount of time from a
skilled person to redeploy a machine.  Remember, each machine
redeployed is likely different and require slightly different tricks.

That being said, I do prefer P3 systems to P4 systems.  But "Core Duo"
systems have been around for about six years.  I think that it's only
worth redeploying post-P4 systems.

AMD machines are a little different: there are no bad AMD chip runs
like the P4.  Even though there is no hard cut-off for AMD-based
systems, I doubt it is worth redeploying any machine older than about
six years.

I still use an Athlon XP but would probably not redeploy one.  I do
use the 5 PCI slots -- not a common feature on recent machines.

I still use a couple of P2's, but would not redeploy one.  In fact,
I'm working to replace them with a much superior C2D system that only
cost $100 used.  So clearly I'm not against old junk.  The only
barrier: the considerable time it will take me.