Can root mount a partition and allow users to write to it?

charles chris cccharlz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 21 07:10:15 UTC 2012

Isaac wrote:

Still, I don't think that it is really worth the effort to keep PIII's in
circulation.  I don't even think it is worth it for P4's/Athlons.  Newer
stuff is just too cheap and energy efficient.

Remember  a Pentium III laptop around 2000/2001 cost $2,0000+
Scrapping  expensive
Pentium III equipment is like throwing away thousands of dollars!

Even some early Pentium IVs are NOT much faster.  Some even use the same
PC133 RAM and run at 1.6 GHz compared to a high end Pentium III running at
1.3+ GHz.

Christopher Browne wrote:

 There's a plenty good reason: in these Modern Days, we're concerned
about getting value out of our power consumption.

It's likely that those Pentium III systems chew many times more power
than (say) an Atom-based system that sells for not terribly much
money, new.

I once placed a 350 Watt power supply in a PC which the customer uses for
video editing.  He complained that the power supply was inadequate and
returned it.  He purchased a power supply with a much higher wattage.

Obviously, a Pentium III will NOT be used for video editing and therefore
will NOT consume more power than modern PCs.

Kevin is correct!

Hugh wrote:

Another problem is it takes a significant amount of time from a
skilled person to redeploy a machine.  Remember, each machine
redeployed is likely different and require slightly different tricks.

Has anyone deployed the Linux Mint 9 LXDE image onto a HD?  Try it!  It
deploys in just 2 minutes!