Can root mount a partition and allow users to write to it?

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Thu May 17 18:01:42 UTC 2012

On 05/17/2012 01:20 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> If you had to fiddle things to make automount work you will probably
> have to write a script to handle unmounting. In Ubuntu 11.04 I can plug
> a memory stick in to the system and have write perms to it automatically
> as a regular user. When I'm done with it I can right click the drive
> icon and tell the system to safely remove the device.

In this case we need more information from Walter as to what his
environment and requirements are.

An important note here is the most auto-mount functionality/policy is
actually implemented in/at the Desktop Environment level. There is
currently no core agreed upon infrastructure to handle this. GNOME just
mounts anything when it's inserted, KDE 4 doesn't auto-mount a partition
until you try to navigate to it via File Browser.

Try logging out of your X environment and switching to the console,
you'll quickly find that nothing gets auto-mounted.

--
Scott Sullivan