Can root mount a partition and allow users to write to it?

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu May 17 17:20:10 UTC 2012

On 12-05-17 04:03 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> I've managed to get automount under mdev sort of working

What distro are you using that required you to fiddle with things to make
automount work? Are you using an embedded system board?

> Unfortunately, since it's mounted by root, my regular user account can't
> write to it... oops.

Look at the uid, gid, and umask options of the mount command. In my case I
have those set in /etc/fstab so the msdos partition is automatically mounted
at boot as owned by root but can be written to by users in a group specific
group.

> I also need to unmount it as aregular user, before yanking it out.

If you had to fiddle things to make automount work you will probably have to
write a script to handle unmounting. In Ubuntu 11.04 I can plug a memory
stick in to the system and have write perms to it automatically as a regular
user. When I'm done with it I can right click the drive icon and tell the
system to safely remove the device.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.