OT: Android tablet epub Reader

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 28 19:13:16 UTC 2012

On 12-03-26 05:06 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Loses:
>
> - 10" screen (of iPad and other tablets) is nicer than 6", especially for
> PDFs

6" is fine if you don't mind small print or if the reader can autocrop some
(or all) of the whitespace from the outside edge of the pages. A 7" device
(possibly aided with auto-cropping?) would be about the same as if you were
looking at a standard sized (small) paper back book.

> - screen refresh is quite slow.  OK for page turning but impossible to do
> the liquid zooming and panning that is possible on iPad.

Full refresh is a bit slow. The Sony PRS-T1 eReader allows you to zoom and
pan the display. It may not be as fast as on a regular LCD display but it works.

> Animation (like iBook in page turning) isn't possible.

> - cannot reasonably run a web browser

What do you mean by "reasonably"? The PRS-T1 has a web browser built in.
I've used it on a few occasions to check out the website of a local library,
a book store, and a couple of other sites and haven't noticed any real
problems other than the text can be a bit small but you can rotate the
screen or zoom in.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.