OT: Android tablet epub Reader

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 26 21:06:19 UTC 2012

| From: Ansar Mohammed <ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I bought an iPad for my wife a few months ago. The only thing she
| liked about it was the iBooks app and how easy it was to read and turn
| pages.

If the only thing your are doing is reading books (you didn't say
that exactly), and the books don't have colour pictures, then I really
think that the e-ink readers are a much better choice than an iPad or
similar tablet.

Obvious wins:

- much less expensive

- lighter

- thinner

- battery lasts a LOT longer (month vs. days)

Loses:

- cannot do colour which would be nice for some books

- 10" screen (of iPad and other tablets) is nicer than 6",
  especially for PDFs

- screen refresh is quite slow.  OK for page turning but impossible to
  do the liquid zooming and panning that is possible on iPad.
  Animation (like iBook in page turning) isn't possible.

- cannot reasonably run a web browser

There are many ebook reader programs in Google Play (the new name for
Android Market).  The most prominent are tied to particular DRM
platforms.  Google Play Books, Kindle (Amazon), Kobo (several,
including Chapters Indigo), Nook (Barnes and Noble) all come to mind.
(Did I mention that I hate DRM?)