Stuck with Printing Problem

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 15 20:35:13 UTC 2012

On 12-03-15 11:23 AM, Ori Idan wrote:
> I have no problems with printing although I never tried localhost:631 I am
> using printers from the setup menu.

IIRC, Ubuntu doesn't use (or stopped using) localhost:631. It has the
Printing menu entry under Administration for configuring printers.

> I have heard many horror stories regarding Ubuntu upgrading. I know many
> people reinstall Ubuntu from scratch instead of upgrading. This can be
> easily done if you have your /home in a separate partition.

I have heard people saying they have heard stories of problems upgrading
Ubuntu. When I used to run Fedora I found it was often safer to upgrade it
by doing a fresh install. If updating from previous release it may be ok but
if you were skipping a release upgrades tended to be more problematic.

I have had much better luck doing upgrades under Ubuntu. I haven't yet had
to do a fresh install of Ubuntu to upgrade. The only problems I currently
have are minor ones and might have been due to my removing all packages
relating to Unity (in 11.04) then installing packages for Gnome 2 after
booting 11.04 for the first time and quickly realizing I couldn't live with
Unity.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.