Stuck with Printing Problem

Ori Idan ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 15 15:23:00 UTC 2012

2012/3/15 <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>

> ------------------------------
> From: ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org
> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:06:36 +0200
>
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Stuck with Printing Problem
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
>

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:57 PM, <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

> From: ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org
> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:25:25 +0200
>
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Stuck with Printing Problem
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
>

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM, <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

> ------------------------------
> From: ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org
> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:56:24 +0200
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Stuck with Printing Problem
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
>

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:46 PM, <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>  Hi all;
>
> I'm at my in-laws updating their ubuntu 10.04 and such - it hadn't been
> updated for a while. I updated over 250 packages.
>
> I ran into a few annoying problems, such as Firefox no longer working. I
> was able to fix most of them (although firefox has crashed at least once)
> but now I'm stuck with a printing problem that I just can't leave without
> fixing it. I can't access the cupps server with http://localhost:631 and
> get the following error when I restart CUPS:
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart
>  * Restarting Common Unix Printing System:
> cupsd
>
> /usr/sbin/cupsd: error while loading shared libraries: libkrb5.so.3:
>
> libkrb5.so.3.3 is there, but not libkrb5.so.3. I'm not sure what to do
> here, and googling didn't help.
>
> Thanks for any assistance, would like to get home...
>
> John.
>
> I would try the broote force here, add a link from libkrb5.so.3 to
> librb5.so.3.3
>
> I get a segmentation fault with that - same as when I tried to rename the
> file (after a back-up).
>
> Anything else?
>
> --
> Ori Idan
>
>  Sorry I am out of ideas.
> Myabe try to remove cups using apt-get purge cups not just apt-get remove
> and then install it again.
>

> It didn't work - still getting error:
>
> /usr/sbin/cupsd: error while loading shared libraries: libkrb5.so.3:
>

> John.
>
> ‎That is why CUPS stands for Can't Usually Print Something :-)
> But is seems that Ubuntu cups maintainer really fucked up this time.
> You can try removing cups again and install it from source code, when you
> run configure on the source code it will probably ask you for the right
> version of some packages.
>

> I'm home now, had to leave. I guess they'll be without a printer for a
> little while. Very annoying.
> CUPS wasn't the only problem. I had to re-install Firefox also.
> Thanks for your help.

> [...]
libkrb5.so.3 which is a link to libkrb5.so.3.3
I have no problems with printing although I never tried localhost:631 I am
using printers from the setup menu.

I have heard many horror stories regarding Ubuntu upgrading. I know many
people reinstall Ubuntu from scratch instead of upgrading. This can be
easily done if you have your /home in a separate partition.
I am working with Ubuntu since 2009 and hardly had problems upgrading it. I
guess I was lucky.

--
Ori Idan