Teksavvy cable modems

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 9 22:33:49 UTC 2012

Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> Hello All,
> I have Teksavvy cable and I have a few questions.
>
> Right now the cable modem is connected directly to a dedicated
> ethernet port on my firewall. My firewall connects to the internal
> network with a second dedicated ethernet port.
>
> Yesterday I setup a dedicated VLAN and plugged both the cable modem
> and my firewall into it. For some rather odd reason, the external
> interface of the firewall does not get an IP Address from DHCP. The
> requests are sent out but no responses come back. I also see tons of
> arp requests from the cable modem.
>
> Any ideas why I am not getting an IP Address?

Are you setting up a VLAN on the modem site of the firewall?  There
shouldn't be any need for one there.  You normally use a VLAN on the
local network to keep different types of service separate.  For example,
I have set up networks where VoIP is on a separate VLAN than the regular
network traffice or where public WiFi access does cannot connect to the
local LAN.  Also, VLANs are typically on different subnets.