server distros

Alex Gabriel alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 8 18:36:36 UTC 2012

I know I'm top posting, but it's a little difficult not to do so from my BlackBerry.

My preference is for Red Hat Enteprise Linux, insofar as enterprise distros are concerned. I find the package management simple, administration tasks are easy, and support is always good.

Then again, given the price for self supported editions versus the Red Hat supported versions, it may be outside your price range.

I've also had good experience with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, although it, too has various price points for varying levels of support.

If you're looking for a free distro to run, I have to agree with the recommendations for Debian based systems (e.g. Ubuntu) as a server distro.

I like the tasksel option available in Ubuntu Server, although similar behaviour is available in other distros, if my knowledge is correct.

Ultimately, it all depends on your expertise with the platform, and your willingness to pay for support.