server distros

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 8 03:00:31 UTC 2012

On 12-03-07 07:01 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 06:30:08PM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
>>> I installed debian today, was disappointed that kvm requires manual
>>> setup. ubuntu has an option when installing and sets everything up for
>>> you.
>>
>> What besides 'apt-get install kvm' do you need to do?  What setup?
>>
>> kvm --options works for me.
>
> Setting up the bridge adapter for one.

IIRC, Xen with bridged networking in most distros is the same (by
default, bridging is not configured).

NAT seems the easiest for most virtualization tools to preconfigure
since it doesn't require messing around with physical/virtual ethernet
devices. Those are really hard to guess.

Moreover, bridged networking requires an ethernet device work in
promiscuous mode.

So the sane thing to do is not enable bridged networking on install for
any virtualization tool until the admin/user in question explicitly
needs it.

Jamon