CBC News and the Raspberry Pi

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 5 18:58:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 10:12:27PM -0500, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> ARM 9, actually, at 1.2GHz. Hopeless floating point performance, but
> I've had one doing sterling duty for the last 2+ years as a simple home
> server.

ARMv5 means the instruction set version.  Currently up to ARMv7 exists
(I believe ARMv8 is 64bit stuff in progress).

ARM11 is ARMv6 as far as I remember.  ARM9 would be ARMv5 instructions.

> The only drawback of these tiny machines is that they don't really have
> enough RAM to run a dev toolchain. My SheevaPlug has twice the RAM of a
> Raspberry Pi, and I usually have to rely on a swapfile (on a USB
> external HD; ssllooww) to compile anything. That's where your i.MX53 QSB
> has the edge.

Yep, which is why I wanted one.

Some years ago I was doing compiles on a 64MB 400MHz PXA255.  That was
pretty slow.  ARMv5 instruction set as well.

--
Len Sorensen