CBC News and the Raspberry Pi

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 3 20:46:06 UTC 2012

On 03/02/2012 10:12 PM, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> On 12-03-02 16:13 , Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> I believe the dreamplug is an ancient ARM design.  ARMv5 as far as
>> I recall.
>
> ARM 9, actually, at 1.2GHz. Hopeless floating point performance, but
> I've had one doing sterling duty for the last 2+ years as a simple home
> server.

What we see here is a common source of confusion.

Lennart is speaking of the instructions set version, while Stewart is
speaking of the ARM Core Design version. Both are values are correct for
the DreamPlug's Kirkwood SoC.

Most modern ARM SoCs are ARM-11 designs, which use the ARMv7 instruction
set.

--
Scott Sullivan