CBC News and the Raspberry Pi

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 3 03:12:27 UTC 2012

On 12-03-02 16:13 , Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> I believe the dreamplug is an ancient ARM design.  ARMv5 as far as
> I recall.

ARM 9, actually, at 1.2GHz. Hopeless floating point performance, but
I've had one doing sterling duty for the last 2+ years as a simple home
server.

The only drawback of these tiny machines is that they don't really have
enough RAM to run a dev toolchain. My SheevaPlug has twice the RAM of a
Raspberry Pi, and I usually have to rely on a swapfile (on a USB
external HD; ssllooww) to compile anything. That's where your i.MX53 QSB
has the edge.

cheers,
 Stewart