CBC News and the Raspberry Pi

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 2 21:13:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 02:55:15PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> List price is US$149.  I think HDMI-out is an added cost option.  CPU
> is better (twice the clock rate, newer ARM standard).  RAM is much
> better (1G).  Don't know about video drivers.

Yes HDMI is an add on, but yes the CPU is newer and much more ram,
and sata connector as well as microSD and SD.  $100 was a special offer.

It also has a MALI video engine, which apparently will soon have an open
source driver thanks to some awesome reverse engineering being done.

> So many choices.

Choices are good.

> To me, the RaspberryPi is cheap enough that buying it is not much of a
> decision.  The i.MX53 QSB not so much.

Oh certainly.  But if you want to actually help with work on Debian
armhf or other arm distribution, having something that can actually do
a decent job as a build system is handy.

> At the price of the i.MX53 QSB, I think that a Dreamplug would be
> closer to my desires.
> <http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-dreamplugdetails.aspx> But
> then I bought a tiny bare-bones AMD e-350 system for only $100
> recently and that is pretty nice.

I believe the dreamplug is an ancient ARM design.  ARMv5 as far as
I recall.  Nifty toy, but certainly not what I would consider useful.

--
Len Sorensen