HDTV antenna recommendation?

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 24 19:50:11 UTC 2012

> <snip the previous>
> I'm not understanding something. Aren't the digital broadcasts today
> using the same frequencies as the analogue broadcasts of yesteryear?
> If so, why aren't the old style antennas (rabbit ears, UHF loops,
> Yagis) sufficient to capture today's digital signals?

Here's a link with pretty good information. Basically the airwaves are
getting pretty polluted. VHF bands are being licensed out to Mobile and
other communications as the Over The Air TV market  is becoming more
minimal.

Remember the old household roof top TV towers we used to see. The ones with
all the different length rods.  You used to point them in one direction and
hope for the best, just fishing for one signal or other. As the technology,
servos etc got better and cheaper you could then remotely physically orient
the antenna for best reception.

With UHF the shorter waves don't bleed as much interference and station
signals can be multiplexed and demuxed with more dexterity. The downside is
the shorter waves don't travel as far, or as well, as the article explains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_high_frequency