Monitor recommendation?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 21 15:04:46 UTC 2012

On 20 June 2012 23:32, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
>
> | My faithful Samsung 2443bw (1920x1200) just gave up the ghost -- simply
>
> | Advice, comments, suggestions? Thanks!
>
> Price is non-linear in size and maybe quality.
>
> I've found mediocre 1920 x 1080 (TN) for almost as low as $100.  Hard
> to beat that price.
>
> 1920x1200 better-than-TN (IP?) screens might start at $300 (not 100%
> sure).
>
> It's hard to go down in resolution!
>
> The Dell UltraSharp line has mostly been good for me.  Good enough
> that my experiences are outdated :-).  Here's a sale:
>  <http://accessories.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=eandapromotion2>
> I'm not saying that these prices are spectacular.
>
> UltraShar's are:
> - not TN
> - usually multiple inputs
> - usually have USB hub built-in
> - often smart card readers are built-in (to go with USB)
>
> 23" 1920x1080 $229
> 24" 1920x1200 $429
> 30" 25560x1600 $1099
>
> Because of the price non-linearity, two of the 23" monitors seems to
> have a nice price/performance ratio.  Too bad about the bezels.
>
> For me, I find my (older) 30" Dell to be quite nice.  I have a 24"
> too, next to the 30", and don't really feel the need to have them run
> the same desktop.
>
> On RedFlagDeals there are often discoveries of monitor deals.  One
> that is intriguing/scary: importing inexpensive 27" IPS monitors with
> 2560x1440 resolution from Korea, through ebay.
>
> Note: anything over 1920x1200 requires a little care with video card
> support.  Dual link DVI is required, or now DisplayPort with
> sufficient specs.  VGA is out as is HDMI (in practice) and single-link
> DVI.

Financially I agree with Hugh: two good 23-24" Samsungs would be much
cheaper than the Dell UltraSharp 30" I bought recently.  But I was
sick to death of dealing with the "quirky" problems of proprietary
dual head drivers and the Dell has made me very, very happy.  Single
screen 2560x1600, lovely colours, and IMMENSE.  I don't think I've
actually full-screened an app (other than a movie) since I bought the
thing - it's overwhelming.

Given that it's summer, I should perhaps point out that the 30" Dell
doubles nicely as a room heater.  I have a 24" Samsung (I bought it
because it's got a higher res than 1920x1200 ... don't remember the
numbers right now) that I like, I seem to recall it pulls about 25W.
Dell lists the 30" UltraSharp as "110W(typical)" but I think it's more
than that.  Fine during the winter but really unpleasant during the
summer.  And not very environmentally friendly.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org